|Doctor Who: The Five Doctors|
|Riffers||Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy, Bill Corbett|
|Series||Dr. Who / RiffTrax Live|
|Date Released||August 17, 2017|
The Five Doctors is a 1983 TV special produced to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the long-running British science fiction series Doctor Who. It was riffed live by RiffTrax in August 2017 (initially on the 17th, with a repeat showing on the 24th). The show also included a short entitled Play Safe.
Description and Preview
The Time Lord known as the Doctor finds that his past selves are being plucked out of time as part of an unknown plot. He must team-up with his previous incarnations and companions to defeat a number of enemies (old and new) and restore his proper place in the timeline.
Cast and Crew
- Peter Davison as The Fifth Doctor
- Tom Baker as The Fourth Doctor (archival footage only)
- Jon Pertwee as The Third Doctor
- Patrick Troughton as The Second Doctor
- Richard Hurndall as The First Doctor
- Janet Fielding as Tegan
- Mark Strickson as Turlough
- Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith
- Nicholas Courtney as The Brigadier
- Carole Ann Ford as Susan
- Anthony Ainley as The Master
- No DVD of this performance has been released. It is not likely to happen due to rights issues.
- The short Play Safe featured two animated birds, one of them voiced by Bernard Cribbins. Cribbins had previously appeared in the feature film Dr. Who: Daleks - Invasion Earth 2050 A.D. (based on the Doctor Who TV series). He would later join the cast of Doctor Who as the Wilfred Mott, grandfather of Donna Noble, one of the Tenth Doctor's companions.
- Play Safe was later used during the 2019 live show Day of the Shorts at SF SketchFest.
- The version of Play Safe from The Five Doctors was later made available independently through RiffTrax.com.
- The archival footage with the Fourth Doctor and Romana comes from the then unaired and incomplete serial Shada. A technicians' strike derailed the production after completing just one block of studio work and the location shooting.